The word asbestos usually strikes fear into the heart of every building owner, tradesman and even members of the public as there is no escaping the incredible amount of deaths this substance has caused.
However, with the right measures in place there’s now no need to worry unduly about asbestos as qualified surveyors like ourselves can ensure your safety while guaranteeing you stay on the right side of the law.
Here are some facts about surveys and asbestos that may help you decide what action to take next.
- It is now the law to obtain an asbestos survey along with a management plan for every commercial premise in the UK. The responsibility falls to the duty holder who could be a tenant, manager, owner or landlord.
- Asbestos was heralded as a wonder material when it was first discovered as it was cheap, sound absorbent, heat resistant and fire retardant.
- The broad term asbestos actually refers to six different types. Each one has fibres that are tiny and microscopic.
- Asbestos is a naturally occurring substance that is mined all over the world.
- Although mining began in the forties, the danger didn’t start to become evident until the late seventies. Now we know asbestos causes at least 3500 UK deaths a year and this figure is set to rise to 10,000 in the near future.
- The inhalation of asbestos fibres causes lung cancer, asbestosis and mesothelioma.
- In 1999 the European Union banned the mining, use and manufacture of asbestos.
- Despite popular belief not all types of asbestos are harmful, a skilled surveyor can identify which type of asbestos is present and many can remain in situ without posing a threat at all.
- There are three types of survey Refurbishment and OR Demolition and a Management survey
- Sometimes only a recognised UKAS lab can identify the type of asbestos
- Russia holds the record for the most asbestos mined, with a whopping 2 million tonnes mined globally, Russia were responsible for 50% of this.
- There are more options than people realise when dealing with asbestos and each offers a cost effective solution that never compromises your health. Asbestos can be sealed or managed. Contact us to find out how.
- Asbestos is the single biggest killer in the workplace
- All houses built before the millennium will probably contain asbestos.
If you’re worried about asbestos in your building, contact us now for an informal chat about your options.